I like freedom. I like guns. I like the freedom to own guns.
What is it about a tragedy that makes people have knee-jerk reactions? The killings at Sandy Hook Elementary were tragic...to the point that I almost broke down at work while listening to the news; to the point where I DID break down on the drive home after work that day; to the point where I wouldn't listen to or read the news for almost two weeks after for fear of hearing more about it; to the point where I wished I could bring the killer back to life for the sole purpose of administering unmentionable torture to him and then killing him again with my bare hands. Yes, it was tragic.
While the rest of us wallowed in sadness, a few took advantage, a few who had an agenda. The agenda--ban assault weapons; the only problem...they were already banned in 1994.
Let's take a look, shall we? Assault weapon is a term that was brought into existence to expand the category of assault rifles (which were banned in 1986). What are assault rifles, then? Fully automatic rifles that the military uses...or machine guns. But, what many folks call assault weapons today actually are semi-automatic, and function just like other normal firearms. In fact, most handguns in the US are semi-automatic.
The simple truth...as shown in the FBI's annual crime report, is that handguns, knives, blunt objects (such as hammers), and hands/feet/fists cause more murders in the United States than assault weapons.
I won't harp in this too much--if you're smart enough, I think you'll get the point that anyone wanting to execute a mass shooting spree could use an assault weapon or handgun, and basically have the same effect. They would just need to have enough magazines and be willing to reload more often.
I've said it many times before, and I'll say it again. I have an inherent right to defend the only life I will ever have, and the lives of those I choose to defend. Too many agendas have allowed the government to take liberties with our constitutional rights...and the Second Amendment seems to be at risk.
Yes, the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting was a tragedy, but who would've known that a deranged man who wanted to kill his mother was going to go on a shooting spree and take the lives of innocent babies while on his maniacal quest? What about the Virigina Tech shooter, what about the Columbine shooters, what about, what about, what about? Most used the most popular weapons out there at the time and just improvised with more ammunition. Schools are gun-free zones, and that allows any maniac with a gun to have complete control.
There are different measures that can be put in place, but don't allow one of those measures to include banning something (that causes a tiny fraction of murders compared to other methods of killing) that allows me to protect my live and the lives of those I love.
The below link has some great information regarding assault weapons.
Truth About Assault Weapons